Schenectady LGBTQ Youth Peer Support Group
FACILITATOR POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Youth Peer Support Group Facilitators will provide leadership and support to the Schenectady’s LGBTQ Youth Peer Support Group, which meets the third Thursday of every month from 6 to 7:30pm.
The successful candidate for this volunteer position will possess strong leadership skills, including group facilitation and management. Patience and decisiveness are a must. Must have the ability to maintain and convey a high degree of confidentiality while representing the organization in managing risks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure orderly and engaging Youth Group sessions;
- Create an atmosphere of respect and confidentiality for all Youth Group members;
- Create and lead activities with Youth Group members, welcoming their input and ideas;
- Adhere to Group Rules and enforce the Rights and Responsibilities with Youth Group members;
- Maintain appropriate paperwork on Youth members, including Intake Forms and Sign-in/Sign-Out process for each Youth Group session;
- Work with Pride Center staff on reporting and debriefing after each Youth Group session;
- Report any incidents in Youth Group, or outside of Group, to Pride Center staff, including completing appropriate incident reports;
- Commit to serving as a Youth Facilitator for 6 consecutive months, staffing Youth Group once every other month. At the 6 month mark your involvement will be evaluated and together we will determine whether you will continue serving as a Facilitator.
- Additional duties and expectations as the needs arise.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND ORIENTATION:
- Each Youth Group Facilitator will complete an Application with 3 character references to begin their screening process. Once the Application is submitted, Youth Facilitators should send their resume to: James Shultis at firstname.lastname@example.org AND John Crowe at email@example.com
- Potential facilitators should schedule a meeting with John Crowe by calling 424.2724.
- Once they have been screened by John Crowe and references checked, Facilitators will be notified of their status.
- If accepted, and agree to a 6-month commitment, an orientation session will be scheduled with Pride Center staff to review procedures and protocol as well as schedule at least 2 apprentice Youth Group sessions with existing facilitators.
- Facilitators will be asked to lead Youth Group once they, and Pride Center staff, feel they are prepared.
- After the orientation session, Facilitators will be asked to complete some basic training on an ongoing basis to equip them better in their role, including:
CPR/ First AIDSuicide Prevention
General Facilitator Skills Building